30 June 2010

Title: Deception (Haunting Emma, #1)
Author: Lee Nichols
Publisher: Bloomsbury, 310 Pages (June 8th 2010)
From: the Publisher - Thanks!

Synopsis: When Emma Vaile's parents leave on mysterious business trip, it gives her the perfect excuse to be a rebellious teen. Throw some parties, get a tattoo (or maybe just a piercing), and enjoy the first few weeks of her junior year. Then her best friend stops talking to her, the cops crash her party, and Emma finds herself in the hands of a new guardian—her college-age "knight in J.Crew armor," Bennett Stern—and on a plane to his museum-like mansion in New England.


After enrolling at Thatcher Academy, Emma settles in by making friends with the popular legacy crowd. But she can't shake the strange visions that are haunting her. She has memories of Thatcher she can't explain, as if she's returning home to a place she's never been. Emma doesn't trust anyone anymore—except maybe Bennett. But he's about to reveal a ghostly secret to Emma. One that will explain the visions . . . and make Emma fear for her life.

Review: 4.5 Stars - Deception had me hooked from the first page right until the last and let me tell you that last is a shocker!! Please remember I go out of my way to remain spoiler free in my reviews, so don’t worry about me giving that HUGE cliffhanger away.

Nichols has a knack for writing a great ghost story full of rich likeable characters and a plot that’s so full of mystery I didn’t want this book to end. Weaving our main character Emma on a journey through the past and the present to discover just who she is and the deep and some extremely dark secrets that she finds lurking behind every turn she makes – makes this more then a thrilling tale.

When Emma finds herself stranded and alone when her parents go off to visit her brother Max, things start to happen around her. Things she can’t explain, things that remind her of something terrifying that happened to her when she was younger. She has no where to turn and ends up making friends with a new girl.

With a betrayal at a party Emma had been hosting comes to light, she finds herself stuck on the verge of going into Foster Care. Before her eyes a family friend comes to her aid on behalf of her parents. In walked Bennett with a way out and a place to stay. How did he just appear knowing she’d need help? Moving Emma to his family home in New England – giving Emma no answerers only more questions.

Living in a house that’s more like a museum, and going to an exclusive private school – Thatcher Academy, Emma has never felt more alone and more scared. I found myself wondering right along with Emma what was going on, who she could trust to tell about all the strange things happening to her and where were her parents?

When she finally gets a few answers out of Bennett she realizes many things about her past, present and family she never expected.

Emma is strong character with a good head on her shoulders and Bennett is a mysterious white Knight who ended up being the one person she could count on when she needed someone the most….

There’s just so much mystery in this first installment of a trilogy that I have no clue where Nichols will take us or her characters next, especially after that cliffhanger ending. I’ll be eagerly awaiting the next in this series and will be on pins and needles until I find out just what happens. If you haven’t read this one and are thinking about it, don’t pass it up, it was fast to become one of my favorite reads/new series this year.

FTC Disclaimer: I did not pay for this book, nor have I been compensated at all in any way or means for reading and writing this review.

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

3 comments:

  1. After our chat last night (and after I was unable to finish Swoon), I decided to pick this one up! I'm only like 75 pages in, but it's pretty good so far, which is saying something, because usually books that are first in a series take FOREVER to get into. I was also super intrigued by the prologue. It was awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I really want to read this :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I first saw the cover I wasn't sure I would pick this up but your review changed my mind. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love